Friday, July 20, 2007

Dumbledore likes looking at knitting patterns, and I do, too.

Oh, I had big plans to finish the socks I'm working on before the last Harry Potter book comes out tonight, but that's not going to happen. I finished the first sock last weekend, but I just can't get myself motivated to work on the second one. I haven't even turned the heel yet. My main problem is the yarn. Prior to my order, I'd heard nothing but great things about the Vesper sock yarn, but the skein I'm currently using is really muddy and I am less than impressed. I'm thinking it's just a fluke, and haven't yet played with the second skein (different colorway), but it's difficult to get excited about knitting with what I've got.

And now, two questions:

Has anyone taken knitting on an airplane lately? What did they allow you to bring onboard? I've read the guidelines online but a first-hand account would make me feel a bit better about what I pack in my carry-on and what I check with my luggage.

How in the world to you reply to comments on Blogger? As far as I can tell, there's no way to do it. Can this really be the case?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, yeah I'm thinking I need to get some of the Must Be Done cleaning finished tonight as I will be reading the rest of the weekend.
As for flying- I've taken my tons of time- no problems. Pretty much as long as you're flying within the US it's not a big deal. (Flying in from another country totally different). Last week I flew from San Diego to DFW and I forgot to take out my pointed tip scissors even (couldn't find my round tip ones) and still no big deal. I do take my plastic Denise needles and crochet hook though to be safe. Circs seem to be better than straights as well.

Ok novel comment- but for blogger comments- there's a setting somewhere in blogger you can check to have comments emailed to you, then you get their email address as well so you can reply. Although this doesn't work for non-blogger users.

Jessie said...

Okay, cool. I'm just going to Urbandale, but of course I have about 512 connecting flights between here and there, so I'd like to keep busy!

Roxarita said...

I don't have knitting packing experience, but when we were coming back from Disneyland I got through with a huge bottle of sunscreen I had forgotten was in my purse, and my mom had to throw out a miniature snow globe that was probably within the liquid allowance. I think it depends on who you run into, so I'd stick to the written guidelines, too.

Jessie said...

I'm assuming I'll be okay since I won't be taking anything metal on-board. But the last time I flew, I wasn't a knitteR!

Jessica said...

Well, you come by it honestly, your grandma was quite a knitter!

Jessie said...

She was! I wish I would have known how to knit before she died, but what can you do.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.