Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Two FOs for the price of one


Pattern: Basic Ribbed Socks
Yarn: Vesper Sock Yarn in Neapolitan
Needles: Brittany, US size 2
Started: July 14, 2007
Finished: July 23, 2007

To say I was underwhelmed by these socks is an understatement. The problem is not the pattern, which I've knit before and find enjoyable enough, but the yarn. See how inconsistent the dye is, especially in the brown stripes? The quality is definitely not what I was expecting. These socks are a Christmas gift, and I know the recipient will probably find the distressed look charming, but I don't.

I am, however, a fan of the Umbilical Cord Hat from Stitch 'n Bitch. A family friend is expecting a baby in the fall, so this will be for her. Here it is, lovingly modeled by a statue of Buddha. Who knew his head and that of a newborn are roughly the same size?


Pattern: Umbilical Cord Hat
Yarn: RYC Silk Wool DK
Needles: Random circs and Daisy DPNs, US size 7
Started: July 20, 2007
Finished: July 21, 2007

I started the hat in between picking up my wristband for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and going back to pick up the actual book, and then finished it after I finished the book. The yarn is absolutely edible, and it was a nice distraction from both the Vesper and the end-of-Harry-Potter blues.

Oh, and something a little fun: my coffee table! Pictured along with the socks are: a library book about knitting for dogs, some waste yarn, a squirt bottle for reigning in our unruly cats, my current WIP, and the framed version of the picture up on this blog.








2 comments:

k said...

I think Meldrick would be a great knitter! ;)

Also, I think the socks look awesome. I understand you don't like the distressed look, but if that was my channukkah gift, I'd be utterly stoked!

You know, if you have time, you could a little mask for Tika, I bet she'd love that. Okay, now I'm picturing it and laughing hilariously.

Jessie said...

I'm glad you like the socks! My problem is that the yarn does not look like it looked on the website (which is, of course, a risk one takes when purchasing online). It looks cheap, and it wasn't. Had I seen it in a store, I wouldn't have purchased it. But, live and learn.